Beetroot and Coconut Cake
150g walnuts (1½ cups)
8 dried figs
2 tbsp raw cacao
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
300g raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated (2 cups)
200g coconut butter or creamed coconut (1 cup)
2tbsp coconut oil
2tbsp almond milk
2tbsp maple syrup
1. Prepare 8″ spring form round cake tin.
2. Peel and finely grate beetroot and set aside.
3. Place the walnuts into food processor, pulse few times until they broken down. Add figs, cacao, cinnamon and sea salt and blend until the mixture comes together. Spoon the mix into the cake tin, spread evenly onto the base and press tightly down. Place into a fridge.
4. In a bain marie gently melt coconut butter with coconut oil. Leave to cool a little and place into food processor. Add beetroot, almond milk and maple syrup and blend until smooth. It will be a thick mix.
5. Spoon onto the base layer and smooth out the top.
6. Place into a freezer for at least 1 hour to set.
7. Once set, gently remove from the tin and place onto a serving dish.
8. Decorate with your choice of toppings and serve.
9. Slice the leftover cake and store in freezer. It’s easier to slice the cake when slightly frozen.