This recipe is a festive favourite from our chef Tomasz! Enjoy!
Makes: 36 – 40
3 egg yolks
2 Tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon each lemon & orange zest
3/4 cup plain flour
Up to 2 Tablespoons additional flour
Oil for frying
1/2 cup icing sugar
- In a small bowl using an electric hand mixer on high, beat egg yolks, sugar and salt until thick and lemon coloured – about a minute.
- On low speed, stir in sour cream, vanilla, zests & flour.
- Stir in enough additional flour to form a mass (1-2 tablespoons)
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead 50 turns (about 2 minutes), adding extra flour as needed.
- Divide dough in half, keeping extra covered with plastic.
- On a floured surface, roll each section paper-thin to at least 12” across. Cut into 1 1/4-inch strips. Cut strips into 5-inch lengths. Make a slit in each strip. Pull one end through slit to make a bow tie.
- Deep fry in oil at about 170-180°C for about 30 seconds, turning once using 2 forks, until lightly golden on both sides. Do not crowd.
- Drain on paper towels. Let cool and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- To re-crisp place on baking sheet in a 160°C oven for about 5 minutes. Cool completely and re-dust with fresh powdered sugar.
- Note: Chrusciki are best served right away but can be stored at room temperature for several days. I store mine on a large platter, separating the layers with waxed paper, and cover them all with tinfoil, not plastic.