A family favourite in our chef, Declan’s, household after Christmas – this turkey, rice and peas recipe is made every year by his dad, Butch. Declan explains, “For my family it always signals the drawing to an end of the festive period. In essence, all that happens is when the best meat from the turkey has been eaten, Dad will make a delicious stock from what’s left, using every remaining morsel and then use this stock to cook up some rice and peas with plenty of black pepper.” Simple, quick and easy, good-mood food.
1x turkey carcass
3x large white onions diced
3x large carrots diced
6x sticks of celery diced
3x bay leaves
3x cloves garlic mince
250g frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Rosemary, thyme (optional)
- Place the turkey carcass in a large cooking pot and cover with cold water and bay leaves. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer. Leave to simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, top up if too much water evaporates.
- Remove carcass from the pot and carefully scrape off any remaining meat. Decant and measure stock.
- In a clean pot, add some of the fat from the top or a bit of the stock or a little cooking oil and add the carrots, celery, onion and a little salt and fry until turning a little golden and translucent.
- Add the garlic and fry for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Measure out your rice. It should be half the volume of the stock you have made. Throw rice in with frying vegetables and stir through.
- Tie herbs in a little bundle and add (optional).
- Add stock and stir.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until rice is cooked, then stir in the frozen peas and let sit for at least 5 minutes. Add seasoning to taste.
- We often add grated cheddar or curry powder to ours.